AAUW



I even forgot to tell you the news that I revived the AAUW branch at SIUE.
It started all with not being accepted to any of the boards and committees I applied for last semester. I never got farther than my e-mail application and request to be part of the committees and boards and task force groups, which resulted always in rejection.
Then I thought I should search for the AAUW branch since all my graduate student life I was a member at large. I thought those might need a volunteer or something and can help me out to have some service for my tenure file. But inquiring for that I found out that the branch was disbanded and there are only two other branches in Alton and Wood River. Of course I asked what needs to be done to revive the SIUE branch... So, I got the answer that I should start by gathering members. After many e-mails on the faculty listserve which were not responded but by the girls in my department, I decided to make an action. If women faculty will see activity perhaps would be more interested in becoming a member.

Previously I was at Women faculty meetings and I found out their interest: Family Friendly University Policy. Next, I started sending e-mails to executives and other people in AAUW. Many were the ideas and offers, but I was stubborn and wanted a professional to talk having good knowledge and experience with the law and policy making. Finally after many many many e-mails, that all were nagging and sometimes harsh, I got what I asked for. Sarah Warbelow from the Legal Advocacy Fund came down from Washington DC. Last Monday April 17th, we had the action. We were around 26 in total with the help from other branches. Linda Henning Cohen our State Membership VP came down from Chicago also. Sarah had many good ideas, I took lots of notes. Now there are 25 members and we had elections.

We had elections and I ended up having the gavel :-)
Yes, I am the new President of AAUW SIUE - Edwardsville - Glen Carbon branch.
Now I have something to do next...