The irnoy of technology

I like to use short instructional videos in my teaching. I consider useful that my students see Freud, Piaget, Erikson, Kohlberg, etc. There are pictures of the classics in books but seeing the person, walk and talk, and teach about his/her theory I think has more impact than if I teach their theory.

Last Fall when I went to the Lovejoy library here at SIUE to get a video I discovered that I cannot just get the video from the shelf and self check out (as I was used to do at U of A). I had to go in person to fill a form, at least two hours before I intended to pick up the VHS, or call in to the Media library no later than 24 working hours before pick-up. Then two hours later I had to go to another office to fill out one more form and pick up my video (I can borrow for a maximum of 7 days). It's ridiculous to waste so much time just to be able to use technology. Each time I borrowed a video I had comments to the clerk. One library assistant then told me that I can complete an internet form to not make the one extra travel to the library.

So, last Wednesday I completed on-line the media form for five videos I intend to watch over the weekend (to know what I present my students) and submit it. Friday afternoon (two days later) one hour before the Media Library closes I go to pick up my videos, just to find out that my on-line submissi0n did not work and everyone blames the software (sic!). Don't even ask me how upset I was. I did a new search and I completed personally a form and since it was less than two hours to closing time I had to go back Saturday morning to pick up my videos! Guess what did they stick to my VHS package: a printed page with one highlated line which reads: "if on-line form is completed please allow 72 working hour before pick up of the requested media."

Daaaa..... One would think the use of internet would speed up the process? Wrong! 72 working hours meens exactly ONE WEEK ahead of time one would like to pick up the videos. This is the irony of technology.
Now, of course if I don't procrastinate and plan well I can do that. My question here is why in the first place the internet modality when it is one week slower than going in person.
It seems I just have to accep that here at SIUE we are way behind of technology age :-(